In the State of Texas, the Texas Education Code “REQUIRES” all student to stand and recite the Pledge of Allegiance to our flags.
(b) The board of trustees of each school district and the governing board of each open-enrollment charter school shall require students, once during each school day at each campus, to recite:
(1) the pledge of allegiance to the United States flag in accordance with 4 U.S.C. Section 4; and
(2) the pledge of allegiance to the state flag in accordance with Subchapter C, Chapter 3100, Government Code.
Even though it is “required” by the Texas Education Code, many high school students choose to show complete contempt for the flag and our country. They refuse to stand for the pledges, they talk through its entirety and are generally rude about it.
The problem has escalated since a former NFL QB began his protest in August of 2016. They see it as their right to be defiant. This is a behavior taught at home or not. For example, in this story the parent is teaching her child it is OK to break the rules and then complain about them.
Is it even possible to return to a time of respect or must we continue on this path of contempt and disdain for our country and each other until we destroy our country?
It will be a challenge but it can be done.
In order for change to happen the following must happen:
- Parents that teach their children simple respect and manners. Learning to say “yes sir” and “no sir” teaches students that good manners are always acceptable. Hold the parents accountable for their child’s actions during the elementary school years and hold the student responsible for their action after they reach 7th
- Politician and people of wealth must stop bashing our public schools. Do something to fix them rather than just being negative.
- Politicians that like adults rather than display acts childishness on national television (see Trump and Pelosi). Refusing to shake a person’s hand and tearing up papers were both childish acts.
- Restore our national pride by respecting all people. Any group that on represents a particular group should be a hate group. All lives matter, not just black live, white lives, or blue lives….ALL LIVES MATTER.
Enough is enough
Vote every incumbent out of office 2020
David R. Taylor 32- year Teacher, Coach and Principal