May 24, 2022: Fourteen students and a teacher are dead after a shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas. The shooter reportedly was an 18 year-old Uvalde HS student.
How many more of these incidents must we have before there is a change in our gun laws? Something has to change.
Stop before you start screaming Second Amendment. Let’s first review what it actually says.
- Second Amendment
– A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The Second Amendment doesn’t prohibit states from conducting background checks before a law abiding citizen is allowed to purchase a gun. It will just slow the process so that we minimize the number of criminals and and mentally unstable with guns. I don’t see any militias being formed. I also
I remember a time while I was growing up that in order for a minor to get a hunting license in the State of Kansas you had to pass a “Hunter Safety Course”. They taught basic gun safety, not just gun safety for hunting. The course came with a test that must be passed before s minor was allowed to obtain a hunting license.
During the 2021 Legislative session, the Texas Legislature passed a law allowing for the open carry of guns. When the law was passes it overrode the previous law requiring a concealed handgun training course before a person was allowed to carry an concealed handgun. This new gun law has not made it safer but much more dangerous.
It is time for the following:
- New leadership (using the term very loosely) in Austin. The current Governor and Lt. Gov are not equipped to lead this state in a safer direction.
- Repeal the open carry law.
- Pass a law requiring a training course for first time gun buyers and a refresher course every 2 years.
- There must be a 14 or 21 day waiting period before the purchase of any time of firearm. Many firearms are bought in a moment of emotion and passion. A waiting period will allow cooler heads to prevail
- Ban the sale of all guns at gun shows. You can look, but you can’t buy.
- If a minor commits an offense with their parents gun, then not only will he minor be charged but his parents will charged also.
- Raise the taxes on firearms and ammo. Make it harder to purchase.
It’s time for change. Let’s make it happen now.