To Pontificate or To Act?

To pontificate is define by Webster’s dictionary as “to speak or express opinions in a pompous or dogmatic way”. It can also be looked at as a form of complaining without making an effort to solve the problem. Remember, “talk is cheap, actions speak loudly”.

Our state leaders do lots of talking about supporting education. They talk about being the “Great State of Texas”. Unfortunately, their actions do not match their words. They say they want to provide a good education for all the children in the State of Texas, but yet have failed to provide the property funding. This causes an increase in class sizes across the state. Then rather than accept responsibility for their actions, they deflect it and blame the local districts for increased class sizes, fewer bus routes, and more local fund raisers.

Educators are also great pontificators. We talk a lot but fail to act in most cases. We adopt the attitude that we just go to work, be quiet and then go home. We don’t want to make waves or cause problems. We just want to go along to get along.

The problem with this is that we know that the state of education in Texas is not what is should be. We know that the current testing and graduation requirements are not good for children.  We know that not all children want or need college. There are actually some that just want to work or join the military. When the statistics say only 20% of our children will earn either an Associate’s Degree or a Bachelor’s Degree, then what are we doing for the other 80%? College Completion Report

We can learn a few lessons from the teachers in Chicago.

  1. They formed a single group with a single voice with a single goal.
  2. They did not waiver in their commitment.

As November approaches, we have a choice to make. Are we going to vote for the person that is working as hard as possible doom education in this state or are you going to vote for person that wants to improve education and its funding. You have a choice. This is not about being a republican or a democrat it is about being and educator.

It is about doing what is best for the children of Texas.

So, are you going to pontificate or act?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply